Sensational Soundtracks: March

  Hello everyone! I haven't posted in a while, but it's been a mentally draining time for me. But, I'm back and ready to kick off March with a soundtrack post. This year is going by way too fast. I would like a refund on 2019, please! Anyway, on with this month's music selection!

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

by John Powell




  The How to Train Your Dragon franchise has become one of the most popular trilogies to date. The first movie was released nearly ten years ago (seriously? Has it been that long?), and I still haven't forgotten the first time I saw it. Of course, I already loved dragons, but seeing Toothless onscreen, him and Hiccup soaring through the sky as one, made my love grow for the creatures even more. 
  I got my first iPod not long after (a 4th generation, if you can believe it), and the first music I bought was the entire album of How to Train Your Dragon so I could relive the movie all over again. And that's the beauty of music. If done well, it immerses you fully into the movie. Powell makes use of lots of wind instruments, even bagpipes, to create the feeling of soaring, and reflect the the Viking setting. 
  Some of my favorite tracks include Test Drive, Romantic Flight, and Battling the Green  Death. The recurring theme itself is one of my favorite themes ever in movies. Some of the themes are revisited in the two sequels. One of the beauty of the three movies is that the music does not stay the same. It rather matures, right along with the characters and plot, though the first movie's music remains my favorite. 
   John Powell has done work on several animated films, and always delivers, including Kung- Fu Panda (played that on the violin, very fun, and co- composed with Hans Zimmer) and the Disney film Bolt. He does and excellent job of giving each movie its own unique sound and score. 
  Thanks so much for reading! ~TQ. 

Comments

  1. HOW CAN IT POSSIBLY BE TEN YEARS!!! I remember watching it for the first time (AND LOVING IT) like it was yesterday! *is slightly put off for a few moments because time passes way too quickly*

    But anyways, the soundtracks are soooooooooooo gorgeous!!! I also really love See You Tomorrow, and Test Drive and Romantic Flight are also the bestest!! I wanna play this on the violin so bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. I don't think I'll ever forget the feelings I had after watching it. I wanted to rewatch it right after seeing it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and family friendly. I'll try to reply as soon as I can to them. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Robots in Film Blogathon

Lovely Blog Party

Know the Novel