Lovely Blog Party


   Hi lovelies! As you can tell, I'm joining the Lovely Blog Party this year, hosted by Cordy! It runs all February long, and to start, she has asked ten questions regarding romantic cliches. I want to answer the questions and then tell you one of my favorite couples. So, I guess this is a top ten kind of deal, even if they're in no particular order. Prepare yourselves for a long post!
  Also, I MUST issue a huge warning for spoilers ahead!


1. Isn't it romantic to be serenaded?

      Since there are dozens of movies out there with songs exchanged between lovers, I say yes. I would love to be sung to, or sing along with, by my true love.

So dapper!

Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan

   OK, so they don't exactly run to each other singing at the top of their lungs how much they mean to one another; they don't have to. Actions speak louder than words, and they showcase it perfectly. Will has been in love with Elizabeth since they were kids, and I suspect she was, too. He boldly breaks the law to get her out of danger and says, without hesitation, that he'd die for her. She's also willing to risk her own safety in later movies to find him and simply make sure he makes it back to her OK. I mean, they later get married in the middle of a battle and have a son. By the end of the series, they've been apart for at least a decade, thanks to Will's curse. Yet, they need no words as they run to each other and share a kiss. *sigh*. 

2. Isn't it romantic to have pet names for each other?

   I think it's adorable, even really simple ones. I've never heard my parents call each other by their first names, and it's amazing.

A summary of their relationship

Shawn Spencer and Juliet O'Hara 

   For those of you don't know who they are, let me explain. They're from a TV show called Psych, which ran for eight seasons. Shawn is an immature man who pretends to be a psychic detective, and Juliet is a real detective working for the police department. They were in love for a long time, but, as each season counts as a year, they waited a good five, six years before admitting their feelings for each other. Shawn often calls Juliet 'Jules', and when I heard it for the first time, I was thrilled to pieces. 

3. Isn't it romantic if he wants you to look him in the eye?

   This is a good one. I guess if it's done out from a genuine, maybe a forgiving, heart, then sure. It all depends on the context. 

Look at them making eyes!

Prince Dastan and Princess Tamina

   Are they royal? Check. Do they hate each other at first? Check. Do they try to kill each other at least once? Do they then try to hide feelings later? Check. Kiss in the middle of a battle? Check. One has to watch the other die? Also check. These leading characters from Disney's Prince of Persia are the perfect recipe for shipped couples. Every time I watch it, I fall in love with them all over again. And don't worry, the movie involves time travel and the couple gets to fall in love all over again by the end. 

4. Isn't it romantic to be carried across the threshold?

   Yes. A million times yes. This is one of my favorite tropes that isn't used enough!

Flower petals falling. 

Zen Wistaria and Shirayuki

   OK. These two. They are from an anime called Snow White with the Red Hair, though it has little to do with the actual fairy tale. Whatever the case, the show revolves around this fledgling couple. Zen is a prince, and a very virtuous one at that. He's a perfect gentlemen and defends Shirayuki with his life. Shirayuki faces an uphill climb to be with Zen, as she's not of royal blood. They're a classic couple that gives me all the feels!

5. Isn't it romantic to receive flowers and chocolates?

   Since no one's ever done this to me, yes, yes it is. It definitely is cliche, but, let's be honest, what girl is going to turn down free chocolate?

My babies, all grown up. 

Hiccup Haddock and Astrid Hofferson

   The couple I started shipping before I knew what shipping was. Watching How To Train Your Dragon for the first time, 50% of the reason for watching it again was these two. Crushing on each other since childhood, they both have gradually matured, right along with their relationship. They're always shown together, always flying together. Hiccup goes to Astrid first for anything, as does she. With the Hidden World coming out this month, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a wedding!

6. Isn't it romantic to get caught in the rain?


   I'll be honest: I hate being out in the rain without proper gear. I wear glasses, so that's part of the reason, as they get all wet and dirty, but if the love of my life decided to kiss me in the rain, who am I to complain?

So much love in one picture

Killian Jones and Emma Swan

   They were nearly the death of me. Killian is the infamous Captain Hook from Once Upon a Time, and Emma is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. They both had previous loves, and Killian flirted with Emma to no end, but patiently waited for her walls to come down. Emma eventually admits her feelings for the pirate, and adventures, including death are overcome and they get married and have a daughter together. It certainly took them long enough, though. 

7. Isn't it romantic to dance?

   YES. As an avid swing dancer who had also danced with her crush, I can say this is maybe one of the best things that you can do as a couple and is sadly fading from popularity. 

Music. The way to a girl's heart. 

Peter Quill and Gamora

   The only superhero couple to make the list, Peter and Gamora are from, and part of, The Guardians of the Galaxy. Peter is a flirt with pretty much all women and is dramatic to music form the 70s and 80s. Gamora is a hardened assassin whose race is dead. In a twist of fate, the two end up working together and slowly find true love. In Avengers: Infinity War, they shared their first kiss, then were both killed. Here's hoping Endgame will fix that and they can live happily ever after. 

8. Isn't it romantic if he asks your parent's permission to marry you?

   As a Christian, I actually expect that. and yes, I do. He's showing responsibility and virtue that way. 

The Snowball Dance

Mike Wheeler and Eleven (El)

   They are the perfect example of innocence and purity. They're very young teens; and El is a government experiment who's been abused all her life. Mike treats her like a person, and, before he knows it, is falling head over heels for her. El doesn't quite understand what love is, but does know she wants to protect Mike and be with him. They are just kids, but show what true love is better than most adults. They've even kissed twice, with the hope of more to come. 

9. Isn't it romantic to be rescued?


   In spite of what social media says, I think it is. A brave, gallant knight coming to rescue his fair maiden from the dragon, whether it's literal or figurative. 

Comfort

Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen

   The Hunger Games. I've read the trilogy twice and seen the movies twice as many times. From the get- go, I shipped Katniss with Peeta, even when the love triangle arose. Peeta doesn't try to hide his feelings for Katniss, even if she is incredibly guarded. In fact, she's the last to know she's in love with Peeta. President Snow even knows he's her weakness, and tortures Peeta to get to her. Eventually, after many trials, they wind up together, married with two kids. 

10. Isn't it romantic to stargaze?

   Stargazing is fun and beautiful. It's a great date idea, so maybe it can be considered romantic. 

Fanart from the books

Artemis Fowl and Holly Short

   To me, you don't have to say 'I love you' to know two people are more then just friends. These two are the most controversial on my list, because, technically, it can go either way, but I think I have sufficient evidence to back up my claim. They are from the Artemis Fowl series, and did not start out on the right foot. Artemis is a villain turned anti- hero turned hero by the end of the series, while Holly is a fairy police officer. They're definitely not ideal, but they care for each other more than their own lives, eventually even sharing a kiss down the road and heartbreak when the other potentially "dies". At one point, Artemis had an alter ego who went crazy for Holly. I mean, come on, the feelings had to already be there! I strongly believe there were feelings there and a potential future. 

That's all for today! What do you think? Are these cliches and tropes romantic? Who is your favorite couple? ~ TQ. 
   







Comments

  1. I love shaw and juliet - though jules is not much of a pet name, it's more like gus is the one shawn has pet names for.

    hiccup and astrid - I don't know. I haven't seen the third film and I sort of forgot the first two but I like the idea of them

    you ruined the hunger games for me. okay no, I didn't get into the series so I didn't read it or seen the movies but I did think peeta and katniss is going to end up together anyway. actually, I think a girl/woman rescuing a boy/man is kind of romantic, we see this more often now

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about ruining it for you! I'll change that and post a spoiler warning.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and family friendly. I'll try to reply as soon as I can to them. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Robots in Film Blogathon

Know the Novel