Recent Reads Six

  No, I don't read this fast. I'm simply playing catch- up with you guys. I feel like I've been neglecting this, so here we go!



Wandering Star

by Romina Russell 

  After the events of Zodiac, a disgraced Rho Grace seeks out the Cancrian settlement on Capricorn, where she is reunited with her brother. She's content to keep her head down and try to forget, though old wounds don't heal overnight. The terrorist group Marad, and a strange message from Ochus, suddenly force her back out among the stars, hurtling towards a future riddled with uncertainty. 


  Ah, yes. The sequel to Zodiac (yes, I do read sequels)). Surprisingly, it was actually a shorter story than the first book, which I think is the first time that's happened to me. But that doesn't make it any less impactful. In fact, I would argue there was way more unpacked in Wandering Star. It continued to deliver, on an extraordinary level, world building and I got to explore new Zodiac worlds. It was also much grittier than Zodiac, dealing with issues such as terrorism, torture, and child soldiers. 
  Like any good YA novel, Wandering Star had a love triangle. I'd say that was the most frustrating part, as it wasn't really going my way, and I didn't really agree with the way Rho treated Hysan, the genius Libran that's always been by her side. That also translated into Rho's character. I really liked her in Zodiac, but again, she became somewhat frustrating in Wandering Star. On the other hand, she's been through tons of trials and hardships, so I can't blame her; she actually acted human, her emotions and feelings still raw, and she wanted to close in around herself. Not all main characters have to handle their PTSD the same way. 


  In all, it was a great sequel, even if it did have its challenges. I readily await reading the third installment, Black Moon. I give it 7/10. 
  Thanks for reading! ~TQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robots in Film Blogathon

Lovely Blog Party

Know the Novel