Sensational Soundtracks: January

  Hello everybody! Welcome to my new series, Sensational Soundtracks! In this series, which will (hopefully) be updated monthly, I want to share some of my favorite movie music, appreciate the composers, and what's so special about it. Most, if not all, are great for writing, reading, or just simply listening. That said, I want to point out the one requirement for music here: it has to be most of the soundtrack. Sure, a movie may have a great theme, but if the whole thing isn't that great, it doesn't make the cut.
  On another note, you probably noticed how I love to use alliteration whenever possible. I find it very pleasing.
  So, here we go!

Batman (1989)

By Danny Elfman 



  Why this one, you may ask? Why not Hans Zimmerman's masterpieces from the Dark Knight? While Hans is amazing, there's something very alluring about Elfman's music from the 1989 classic. I've only seen it once, but it was a great movie that I argue still holds up today. But I'm not here to debate about Batman or give my personal opinions (*cough* Christian Bale *cough*), I'm here to talk about the music. 
  One of the reasons why its so special to begin with is strictly nostalgia. We got a Wii the year after it came out, and a relative gave us the Lego: Batman game to go with it. That was by far our favorite game to play, and the soundtrack from the movie was used in the video game. Even now, just listening to it puts a smile on my face purely from good memories.
  The design for Gotham City used in the movie was dark and gothic, and Elfman's score reflects the surroundings and the characters that bring it to life. The main theme alone is enough to get one excited. Elfman uses many unique sounds to give the feeling of danger and excitement, another reason this music sets itself apart. And, of course, what suits the crazed Joker better than a walizing carnival theme?
  One thing I also want to point out is that the music is constantly moving. In a lot of soundtracks, sometimes the music tends to stand still, be very quiet and gentle, with maybe some soft violin or piano. That's not the case here. Even when the music is "quiet", Elfman keeps the energy moving with enthusiastic, but softer, piano, trumpets, or other sounds.
  As for Danny Elfman himself, this movie seemed to fit him really well. He did an amzing job composing other movies like The Nightmare Before Christmas (even singing some in that one) and Spider- Man (2002). Both of them required darker themes, in which he delivered without fail.

  What do you think? Feel free to comment! Thank you for reading and have a great day!

Comments

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and family friendly. I'll try to reply as soon as I can to them. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Robots in Film Blogathon

Lovely Blog Party

Know the Novel